On 07/21/2017 03:00 PM, kai zhu wrote:
Can you produce any data at all to back that up? I've never seen any appetite in that regard at all.
no hard data admittedly. i regularly attend tech meetups in hong kong. at these gatherings, the general sentiment from frontend developers is that creating webapps has gotten considerably more difficult with the newish technologies. even the local presenters for react and angular2+ at these talks can’t hide their lack of enthusiasm for these frameworks (like they’re doing it mainly to hustle more side-business for themselves). on-the-job, we all generally try to avoid taking on such technical risks, until we are inevitably asked to by our manager. the ones i see who are enthusiastic are typically non-frontend-engineers who write mostly backend nodejs code, that isn’t all that more scalable or interesting with what you can do in java/c#/ruby.

I think this is mixing up frameworks with the language. There is indeed extreme framework fatigue, and has been for quite some time. Language changes have been much slower and mind-bending, and it is my (uninformed) impression that people generally haven't had too much difficulty incorporating them. Or at least, not nearly as much as learning the mindset of eg React or Flux or Angular or whatever. And there seems to usually be a sense of relief when something gets added to the language that removes the need for the workarounds that the libraries and frameworks have been using for some time.