Another lurker, and I agree with both points:

 * I think JS *is* useful for way more than just the Web. It might not be
my favorite language of all times, but sure is near the top and my language
of choice for several non-web projects, specially bash scripts (I have
simple bash utility in JS that I use daily, for instance).
 * I think the new additions were a almost a panacea for a lot of drawbacks
I had with the language while developing for the web (and not), including
basic frontend websites, especially things like; async/await, destructors,
spread operator and default values for parameters. I sincerely cannot
believe one could not see the usefulness and benefit of the latter, for
instance, in any project of any type whatsoever, in a language without
method overloading.

IMHO these additions shed a light on JS that made it stand on the top with
the others as a completely valid, useful, powerful, easy to write and read,
pretty, delightful language to code tiny or massive web apps or other
projects. I like most of the discussions here, that's why I follow the list
(I really like the recent Object.pick, for instance, and would personally
really like to see my proposed (and many other before me of whom I was
unaware) array.flatten), but this particularly topic doesn't seem very
productive. Changes have been made, and I love them, but they are optional,
backwards compatibility is the absolute goal.

If one has specific and well defined proposals, independent of the
philosophy behind them, I'd love to see them made in other topics,
specially if they come from someone who doesn't quite like what we have so
far. This broad and vague rambling, OTOH, doesn't seem to be adding much.
But those are just my couple cents, and in no way I incentivize banning a
topic or conversation or nothing of the sort (one can just ignore it if he
doesn't like to read). I have to add, if you allow me to, it's actually
quite funny to skim through when you have some spare time, and can be very
instructive too (some good points on both sides).