On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Linux Rocks ! wrote:

> cat /proc/cpuinfo should tell you  about your CPU.
> cat /proc/meminfo should tell you  about your memory. (including info about
> swap)
>
> Jamie

Sounds more than reasonable (and works :-)
 - I don't know why I blindly trusted the man pages ( RH 8.0 )-:
"""
MKSWAP(8)                  Linux Programmer’s Manual            MKSWAP(8)
   If you don’t know the page size that your machine uses, you may be able
   to look it up with "cat /proc/cpuinfo" (or you may not ‐  the  contents
   of this file depend on architecture and kernel version).

Linux 2.2.4                      25 March 1999                      MKSWAP(8)

"""