Mr O,

I think you'll be able to help me as to where to go next...

The drive serial number is: IC35L040AVER07-0, which happens to be one of
those 40 GB IBM 60 GXP drives that everyone eventually has the very same
problems with... eventual bad sectors and lost data.

I purchased the drive 10-Dec-2001, so over 2 years ago.  I'm hoping it's
one of those still under 3 year warranty.  I got it from buy.com.  By
searching for that serial number, I found that others have been able to
send their drive back and get another (different) one.  That overcomes
my problem of a bunk drive.

Now for the problem of somehow getting as much of my data off of there
as possible.  Anyone played with dd_rescue?
http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

-Rob