Thus the older Deskstar drives have earned themselves the name
of 'Deathstar' drives. Yours is still under 3 year warranty BUT
Hitachi is taking control of most of IBM's drive assets and
it'll take some time to get your drive taken care of. No more
advanced shipment from IBM. You're looking at about a 4 week
downtime so I'd just buy another drive in the meantime and use
that for a spare when you eventually get it back.
As a side note, alot of the new IBM branded hard drives are not
in fact IBM so the fear factor is reduced there. I'd recommend
anybody not buying the 40 or 60GB GXP drives though.