On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Rob Hudson wrote:

> I'm not exactly looking forward to the extraction process, but I'm going
> to try to load up on knowledge before hand and see what I can salvage
> (if anything).

Rob, it sounds like bits and bytes *continue* crubling away while the
drive is spinning. In that situation I'd do two things:

A) Keep the ontime at a minimum (i.e. rescue most important stuff first,
1st) by file, 2) by dir, 3rd) utilities that work on larger portions of
the drive.
All of this with the drive mounted to another installation.

B) Vary the physical parameters under which you do this; i.e. the drive
started failing while it was at cosy operating temperature => cool down
before attempting (A) --one of those magic things that sometimes work...

 - Horst

So I wasn't that far off with:
"""
2) Is the situation caused by a software problem (crash) or a hardware
problem (HD)? That determines how you want to invest your energy and time.

3) How old is the drive? --the probability of a HD failing is 100% (it's
just a matter of time) If it's an old drive, try to rescue what you can
(by mounting to another installation).
"""