I use RedHat; I have it installed on about five PC's.  It's easy, it
works, but my uptimes aren't as good as some because of my cheap
hardware and habit of turning off computers when not in use.  I use
Mandrake on the kids' computer--the menu's were better organized on
Mandrake, and it came with more games, as I recall.

My 'minimalist' home router-machine has a 66mhz-Cyrix with 16mb of ram.
It is a mostly original "Leading Edge" computer that someone gave me
because it was not capable of upgrading from windows 3.1 to windows 95
years ago.  Last summer I loaded a mostly original RedHat 7.3--I know,
I really should replace it or at least compile a low memory kernel but
hey, it works.  I think it's amazing that a 2.4 kernel will work at all
with such an old machine, but it does alright as a dial-up router,
firewall, print-server, etc.  It probably doesn't even have the
horsepower to decode an mp3!  This box has seen a few drive upgrades,
but has been mostly turned-on, running and operational 24/7 since 1996,
probably used little for the years before 1996.