From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf
Of Ben Barrett
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2003 11:59 AM
To: The Eugene Unix and GNU/Linux User Group's mail list
Subject: Re: [eug-lug]Happiness is a working Nvidia video card

It is not Totally Free, but you might want to check out SGI's Performer
-- they made a linux version, and it an entirely programmable 3D system,
for modelling, simulation, games, ther interactive apps, etc. It has
scientific precision.... in general, as I grok it.
http://www.sgi.com/software/performer/linux.html

Also, you might want to check out some visualization libraries, like VTK
(the visualization toolkit), which is used in some 3D stuff like VMD:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
http://public.kitware.com/VTK/

And if you need photorealistic renderings of mathematically precise
scenes (what I deem to be some of autocad's capability), I'm sure you
know something about the Persistance of Vision raytracer, povray:
http://povray.org/
Blender can interoperate with the .pov filetypes AFAIK; also there are
some other nifty [stand-alone] tools to make and animate .pov files -- I
used one that calculated geodesics once, it was neat-o...

'Hope this is helpful and new info for you!

   Ben B