On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 04:13:17PM -0700, Bob Miller wrote:

>Is the requirement to use maildir format nonnegotiable?  For many/most
>workloads, I'd expect mbox format to run quite a bit faster.  If I
>were you, I'd certainly spend an afternoon benchmarking both formats
>before committing to maildir.

<rant>If you were us, mbox and associated bogon-locking would have taken
years off your life by now</rant>.  Mbox is the biggest single embarrassment
in the entire history of *NIX, and that's saying a lot.  Everything's a
file, all right, except your mailbox, which manages to combine in itself
the worst aspects of a big file and a database.  Feh.  What really, really
annoys me is that this misdesign was propagated into Plan 9, despite their
having decades of opportunity to Know Better.

So, in summary, yes, maildir is nonnegotiable.  In response to your query
about testing, however, i had been using it for some time before we deployed
it generally; procmail can be made to do it via configuration files regardless
of  the system defaults, and it made me very happy.
--
Yes, we ARE a bunch of anal, short-tempered, quick to fly-off-the-handle,
sarcastic, know-it-alls.  That's what running networks does to you.

                                - James Fischer on inet-access