On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 04:13:17PM -0700, Bob Miller wrote:
> Larry Price wrote:
>
> > We have an argument going here in the office regarding how to spec a
> > storage array for a high volume, low-latency production server that
> > would need to hold and serve approximately 1-3 TB of maildirs
>
> Is the requirement to use maildir format nonnegotiable?  For many/most
> workloads, I'd expect mbox format to run quite a bit faster.  If I
> were you, I'd certainly spend an afternoon benchmarking both formats
> before committing to maildir.
Performance is one issue, and depends on the size of an mbox.
Corruptability is another.  With 1-3TB of email I wouldn't do mbox
format.

> > the basic argument is about ata-raid vs. scsi
>
> ATA is the present and the future.  SCSI is for old farts and
> the terminally large-budgeted.
It is also for those who need more than a handful of drives, which you
noted below.

> The practical problem is that because IDE was designed for PCs with
> one or two drives, it's complicated to get more than about ten IDE
> drives into a PC-architecture system.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to your