Exactly my sentiments, Joseph -- although many others note that "these
things tend to break".  Hmmm... I've been sitting on my DSL for 2 years
now, and had only ever reset my DSL modem once, in the beginning.  I
have it on a UPS, and so it has managed to keep uptime over all of the
local brownouts and minor blackouts during its active lifetime.
I've also seen such deals, which would beat out the comcast unit rental
inside of a year's time, and so would prefer to spend my money on my own
device, which I can happily destroy following its eventual breakdown = )
Is anyone familiar with any particular compatibility issues?  ie, do I
need to make sure the model supports some specific protocols or is a
cable modem a cable modem, all the same, these days?

thanks for all the informative responses, folks!

   Ben B