DOCSIS compliant. That's all you need worry about. You do NOT
need a Windows box to set up. The right tech will know to log
onto the secure server to register the modem.
https://sas.r1.attbi.com
Yes, it's still an "attbi" server but it's for registering the
modem without using the stupid software. Truth is, owning your
modem isn't much different from leasing it. You'll actually pay
the same either way. If you get just the broadband you'll pay
$52.95 a month. If you get the broadband and the most basic
cable package you'll save $10 a month on each which means for
just under $60 a month you can have basic cable and broadband.
So if you watch TV you can basically have cable for about $5
more.
   Outages are more frequent on Comcast. I find myself rebooting
my router to restore my connection almost weekly. Sometimes
twice a week. Then again, it may just be my router. I've been
too lazy to hook the other one up to find out. Even through the
reboots and power cycles my IP has stayed the same for the past
few months. I'm even running Apache on one box and a Slimp3
server on another and both are publicly available if you know
the IP. Upside to owning your modem, it's yours, you can tweak
it, but carefully or you can lose your service. Upside to
leasing, it's theirs, if it's broken they have to replace it.
Honestly, if someone is hooking it up for you and can't get it
connected through Mozilla, don't trust them!! Half the guys
doing installs these days are TV guys, not data guys. Most of
them are freakin' clueless and amaze me at how dense they can
be. Just hope you have someone that's been doing it for a while
and may have even been around since the @home days. :)

That's all you need to know.

Mr O.

P.S. I own the Linksys Cable modem. Untweaked.

--- Jackson Gibbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just anecdotal, but a co-worker who is a sysadmin for linux,
> solaris, hp-ux, aix, and irix boxen finally gave up on cable
> due to an apparent dhcp incompatibility with anything other
> than billdows.
>
> He's happy with DSL...
>
> That's in Corvallis though, don't know if comcast is
> consistent between towns yet.
>
> -J

> >I've also seen such deals, which would beat out the comcast
> unit rental inside of a year's time, and so would prefer to
spend my money on my own device, which I can happily destroy
following its eventual breakdown = ) Is anyone familiar with any
particular compatibility issues? ie, do I need to make sure the
model supports some specific protocols or is a cable modem a
cable modem, all the same, these days? thanks for all the
informative responses, folks!