On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 08:11:17AM -0700, Mr O wrote:
> Cable only has external modems. In regards to what Jamie said
> about having to use one NIC, most routers will clone the mac
> address of the NIC you used to set things up. So if you go with
> a router be sure to use the computer you originally connected
> with to set things up. Then you're off and going just fine.

I've never had a problem with this.  The website mentioned before
registers the mac address of the modem with comcast, not the mac address
of the computer(s) behind it.  I'm currently using an RCA modem.  The
modems should not clone mac addresses. The first portion of each mac
address is a manufacturer code.  So a device made by RCA would then seem
to be using a 3com or intel or other mac address.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to your