Maybe a dumb question, but why does the customer want
a separate box vs. installing something like netiq's
mailmarshal right on the Exchange box?

Is the Exchange box the mx? (I hope not) Is this
solution being planned for the mx? This is what I'd
tend to recommend (anti-spam on either the mx or the
Exchange box), since I don't see a reason to add
another box to the mix (unless they have a ton of mail
traffic).