Jason Van Cleve wrote:

> I'd like to attempt a full system backup onto our LAN at this point.
> I'm wondering what I could use to accomplish it.  Does anyone know if an
> ISO would work?  I think there's a program that's used with cdrecord,
> which will make an ISO from a set of files.  Will it retain all my
> ownerships and permissions?  I'm thinking of just copying the whole
> system back into a new hard drive that way.

LAN backup is very slow.  If you are planning to keep more than 100
MB, get the disk out of the laptop, get the 2" to 3" IDE adaptor, get
it into a desktop, and copy data disk-to-disk.  You've got a limited
number of hours of runtime on your drive.

Most drive failures are heat-related.  Getting the drive out of the
laptop will let it run cooler.  You can also set it on top of a lump
of blue ice to make it even cooler.  (Put some cloth in between -
don't let condensation onto the drive.)

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]