I have not, and also have a Linksys PAP2 from Viatalk connected to my
Linksys NAT-router -- although I have never seemed to need to fuss with
QoS.  I also do not have any LAN bridge or other switch, as you do.  Is your
switch a separate device, or are you referring to a multi-port router?  If
standalone, is it a smart switch or a dummy, or actually a hub?  On the
asterisk wiki there is some documentation about configuring Viatalk, which
may be helpful if you haven't seen it, and I think Viatalk has decent
support pages too (although I haven't needed them, admittedly).
Oh, you're using DD-WRT instead of the Linksys firmware?  If that is the
case, then my comparison might not be very helpful... fwiw, I put my cable
modem, router, pap2, and phone all on a UPS and can confirm that I still
have voip service during power outages, which was my goal.  Next would be
finding a suitable fail-over uplink. :)

Question though:  can't you simply configure the QoS to favor your sip/voip
traffic rather than the originating address?  That way, if you chose to run
a soft-phone client you'd still achieve desirable service quality?
Related question:  did you setup QoS b/c of bad call quality, or just b/c
you could, or in expectation of silly asymetic uplinks grinding things to a
halt, or something else?

~ben