Indeed!  I believe low charging voltages are, at least in part, responsible for
LiFePO4's amazing calendar/cycle life.  Also, I am told Tesla's Model S gives
owners the option to charge conservatively, for life at the expense of range,
or aggressively for a long trip.  Another part of Tesla's secret is that the
pack is so large that C rates are kept low, as is DoD for most drives.  That,
and you don't need many cycles at 265 miles each to hit 100k miles...

I am curious, though:  what do the real world results say from people driving
homemade EVs?  ThunderSky has been around for a while now; even CALB has been
around a few years.  I haven't noticed many posts about people replacing
lithium packs and it's hard to get a feel browsing the EV album how many miles
people are putting on their lithiums.  So, how many miles have people gotten
out of their packs?  Are any outright dying?  Maybe we could compile a database
and make some graphs like that excellent pluginamerica link?  I don't have
significant data yet, but I'll go first, as an example:

Pack:  54 ThunderSky 100Ah
Age:  3yrs (bought June 2010), in service since March 2012
Miles Driven:  5000
Capacity remaining:  unknown* but have hit 80% DoD several times without issue
Top charge voltage:  3.6V
BMS used:  yes, custom
Temperature Management:  no
Location:  Massachusetts

*one cell was over-discharged last winter after ~2000 miles.  During recovery,
it accepted 103Ah to 3.6V @ 5A (+/- maybe 5%?).  It has sat idle since...

Cheers!
-Ben