On 10/09/2013 05:27 AM, rustybkts wrote:
> Voltage dip is quite severe in winter at -10C or lower and because my cells
> are not heated, I always charge immediately after driving in cold conditions
> so the cells are over 0C.
>
> My new build EV has 100 x 100Ah CALB and performed superbly last winter with
> negligible voltage dip in all temperatures.

I am converting my lead-acid truck to 100Ah CALBs and they're all going
in insulated, heated battery boxes. I won't actively heat them in use
but if they're at or below 0C when I plug the truck in, it will run the
heaters until the batteries are warmer before turning the charger on.

> BTW, my son is using an M1330 Dell laptop which is well over 6 years old and
> it still runs for hours on the original cell pack. It has always been in
> daily use and very often on battery only.

I actually think that's better. Laptop batteries are usually murdered by
their charger. Laptops that I lug around and use on batteries always
seem to last longer than ones that mostly sit on a desk plugged in. I
find the latter's capacity diminishes rapidly over time.

--Rick