So far most li-ion chemistries with organic electrolytes start dying right
after the formation process in the factory. What ever you do by using the
cells is just killing them faster.

Elevated heat is the most biggest issue with the laptops. Not the voltage.
If it would be the voltage *all* the laptops would be dying flat on the 1st
year. But 95% of them keep working just fine several years. My cells in MBP
now are sitting on 4.16Vpc and all is fine. They are in the hysteresis
state and no current is pushed to the cells. No explosions or near death
escapes expected.

When LFP came and replaced LCP (NMC) we saw better cyclic life and due
lower nominal voltage a much longer calendar life. Much less specific
energy in the weight and in the volume. Also added BMS cost due added cell
count. I was sceptic and felt that we are just taking steps backwards. Now
I think differently since the proven stability of this certain chemistry is
extraordinary. Track record is impressive. We can finally get the numbers
right which we have been chasing for a decade. (referring to specific
energy and cost)

I got from Winston in 2004 some 30Ah LFP cells in white cases with shaved
labels. These were the 1st zero-series ever made. I still have few dozen of
these cells. Most of them have been stored in various conditions and I test
them once a year. This year I had to skip the tests due more important
battery related things.

Some cells are still on the same charge they came from the factory. And
showing over 2v. Some are completely dead (corrosion inside).

Packs that have BMS set on top balancing to 3.7v with less than 0.,3C
charge and about 1C peak discharge are showing some interesting things.
Pack regains capacity and performance if pulled to 4.25Vpc. The effect
remains for next dozens of cycles. Few cells have unevenly heating
terminals. The connections are tight and near to same torque (read: very
tight). The interconnect bolts have lost too much material and the
connections inside the cells are coming loose. Even the cells are installed
poles upwards.

In EV application about 80% (~261Ah of 325Ah (350Ah nominal was never
there)) of the original usable capacity was available few weeks ago. About
8 years on daily use. Cold weather performance is weaker. Pack needs to be
'hot' before it provides original power. Pack is still very usable (but I'm
worried about the unavoidable death from mechanical failure inside the
cells)

In short: The temperature and calendar life are more significant factor
than peak voltages. At least as long as they are in the realm of the
electrolyte specifications. Lower operation voltage lessens the electrolyte
stress.

-Jukka

Disclaimer: Reader can choose if one believes the observations I have told
above. Facts behind the observations are 'IP' that is being used to create
better battery products. These observations do not apply on pouch or
cylinder cells or to any other chemistry that has not been mentioned (and
*every* manufacturer has a different one).