I doubt "yank and crush" will happen again.  Tesla is too much of a threat for
anyone not to want to keep their EV program active, even if it's only a
contingency plan.  My bigger fear would be Toyota sucking market share and
investment away from EV's when they start shipments of their Fool Cell car.
Even then, though, the significant disadvantages of hydrogen infrastructure
(and fuel cells in general) should keep competition to a minimum.

-Ben