Peri,

I was really just referring to the fact that hydrogen is not a source of
energy.  You have to do some work to get it,   Far more than you have to
when you oxidize a hydrocarbon.

As you say, electrolysis is a poor way to store energy as H2.  And, we
currently burn hydrocarbons to make most of the electrons used to for
cracking water.  A bad trade off.   In the building next to my lab is a
hydrogen electrolyzer that runs off of a thin film solar PV roof generation
system.  An incredibly expensive and silly set up IMO.

Anyway, people insist on referring to hydrogen as an energy source, but
they are only looking at the end use.  In reality the hydrogen is being
used to transport the energy from some other energy source (an electric
power plant) to the end use - and with lots of inefficiency however you do
it.  Petroleums are a really good transport mechanism except for all those
stray nitrogen, and carbon compounds.

We are probably lucky in an existential sense that it is hard to get H2 out
of water.  But, there you have it, it is hard to get H2 out of water.
 Electrons generated from fusion energy would do it cleanly.

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."