I think that, by this point, we all agree on that point: the buyer did not
receive what he thought he had received. I believe that the company that
sold the salvage car likely did not realize the true situation either. I
would think that the sell would fall into questionable legality given the
circumstances.

The lingering question, and point of disagreement, is whether Tesla has any
legal or moral authority or sanction to disable a vehicle that they no
longer own. My view is that it is never acceptable for the originating
company to disable a device without the sanction of the current owner. I
seriously doubt that the owner at the time of the crash really wanted them
to totally disable the car remotely. Disabling the car is the
responsibility of the inertia sensors in the car. THAT is for safety.These
things can be reset by the owner. Instead Tesla has electronically disabled
the car in such a way that only they can unlock it. This is unconscionable
as far as I'm concerned. This is not for safety. This is all so that Tesla
can retain total control of something they have already sold.