You all need to read the link I posted.

It explains how to recondition Nickle based batteries.

It also explains the failure mechanism and why this works.

________________________________
 From: EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Hybrid battery reconditioning

>From the webpage description, it sounds like they know what they're doing,
though I have no way to judge whether they're using appropriate criteria for
deciding which modules are defective.

Alas, any time you fix a declining EV battery by replacing the worst cells
or blocks, rather than all of them, you have no way to know what other cells
or blocks might turn toes up next week, next month, or next year.

I've done what they describe with lead EV batteries, replacing blocks as
they fail.  With that situation it's mostly a losing game, because once a
couple blocks die, the rest usually aren't far behind.

Coincidentally, this is a NiMH question I'm facing too.  I have a 36v 10ah
NiMH e-bike battery here that's on its last legs. I've been debating whether
to (a) replace just the bum cells and see how it goes, (b) replace all the
cells, or (c) gut the battery and try lithium cells instead.  ("Tenergy"
brand tabbed D-size cells are around $9 each plus shipping; other brands are
much more expensive, if you can even find them with tabs.)

I'll be interested to hear from anyone who has experience doing this with
NiMH in EVs.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator