Ben,

There are probably no definitive limits to either battery balancer or BMS.

To me a BMS also manages charge and discharge cut off, as well as
balancing. I suppose it could also have a built in charger, but that is not
what I think when someone says, "that there BMS."  There are notification
and warning functions, value readouts, etc. that could also be in a
system.  A battery balancer that does none of these other things is still a
battery balancer to me, but wouldn't be a BMS.

There should probably be a "cell balancer," and BMS.  But we call a series
of batteries a battery just to be imprecise.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Ben Goren via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2014, at 1:28 PM, Lee Hart via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>
> > Or, you can build my Battery Balancer (or something like it -- the plans
> are open source and on the web). It does what any battery tester has to do:
> Select a battery or module, charge it under known conditions, discharge it
> under known conditions, compare and record the results. I've been building
> and refining it for over 15 years! It's at
> http://www.sunrise-ev.com/balancer.htm
>
> I might be a bit confused by the terminology you're using. Is that not a
> "BMS," a Battery Management System?
>
> Seems to me like it might be rather more sophisticated than many of the
> ones I've looked at, but it looks like they're both doing the same thing.
>
> ...and, if so, yours is definitely on the short list for consideration
> when I get to that stage of the project....
>
> b&

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?