Michael Ross wrote:
> Here is one test unit available for Prius packs:
> http://www.go2hev.com/hybrid-vehicle-battery-testing-and-analysis-kit.html
>
> The maker Automotive Research & Design (what an instructive name) does
> more than just produce this test unit - they do a lot of training of
> mechanics by various means.
> http://www.go2hev.com/home.html
>
> OEM cell test equipment seems to come from ARBIN
> http://www.arbin.com/

"If you got the dough, then it's a go." But this tends to be expensive commercial equipment and training for professionals that will do this for a living.

> Lee said: "The only way to know for sure is to TEST. Test each cell
> or battery, and see what you've got."
>
> This was my assumption.  I will be interested to see if the school or
> Hybrid Shop goes to this much trouble.

Yes, this is a concern. I notice that the go2hev.com unit says it spends 20 *seconds* doing the power test, and the graphs say the amphour test is similarly brief. Now if you're in a shop and working by the hour, you want the quickest possible test, regardless of its accuracy. But I have to wonder how accurate the data that you get from such a short test will be.

> If we were to estimate the labor required to test a Prius pack
> - what would that look like?  Would it be any where near sat $1000?

A typical auto repair shop is likely to charge $100/hour. At that rate, $1000 is about 10 hours of work. They have to pay for all that equipment and testing, right?

It can obviously be done far cheaper yourself, if you're willing to invest your time and a few dollars for simple equipment.

A voltmeter, some light bulbs for a load, a commercial battery charger, a clock, and a clipboard are sufficient for basic testing. That's what I used to do. I learned a *lot* about batteries this way!

Or, you can buy a simple battery tester/cycler, intended for the R/C model cars and planes. For example, I have a Model Rectifier Corp. "Super Brain 989". It tests lead-acid, nicad, nimh, or lithium cells or batteries up to about 24v and 20ah capacity. Cheap (and cheaply made), but it works adequately for hobby use. There are many similar units.

Or, you can build my Battery Balancer (or something like it -- the plans are open source and on the web). It does what any battery tester has to do: Select a battery or module, charge it under known conditions, discharge it under known conditions, compare and record the results. I've been building and refining it for over 15 years! It's at http://www.sunrise-ev.com/balancer.htm

--
Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats. -- Howard Aiken