On 3/26/15 10:36 PM, Ed Blackmond via EV wrote:

On Mar 26, 2015, at 8:48 PM, Jamie K via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

For example, if the display shows 50%, then 50% of 20kWh is 10kWh.

Why bother with the intermediate conversion to KWH?  If you know how
far you can go on 50%, then you are done.

Because at any time I can multiply kWh times the displayed miles/kWh (which will change due to driving conditions) to quickly arrive at a range number in miles.

(Percentage remaining * 20kWh) * miles/kWh = instant range in miles

This is basically what the built-in guess-o-meter does, but now I have a way to confirm it, and a way to make a more accurate guess if, for example, I know I'm about to go up a long hill and the miles/kWh will go down (from my experience).

And using the LEAF V1.5 percentage readout I don't have to bother with the beautifully presented but hard-to-read and arbitrary bar display that people here have been complaining about, and I don't have to guess how long it's been at any particular bar position and how much of that bar might be left. 100 steps on a percentage basis is a finer measure to use than a smaller number of bars, and quicker to grok.

Of course if I had a LEAF V1 w/o the percentage display then yes, I think your method would be workable.

For that matter, on the 2013 LEAF at least, most of the time the guess-o-meter isn't too bad, and it only takes a quick glance. But since it can't look ahead, there are times when I like my method of confirmation.

Cheers,
 -Jamie

With my 2011 Leaf, I know I can travel 10 miles on the last bar, 20
miles on the last two bars, 29 on the last three bars and 37 on the
last four bars. This is with fully inflated tires,  the climate
control off, keeping the speed below 50mph, never accelerating hard
enough to have more than 3 power dots filled at once (there is always
one filled), and only using regen or coasting to slow down. If I keep
the speed under 35mph I can get another mile or so per bar.

I know to never be more than about 35 miles from home when I get to
the last four bars. Since the miles per bar on the first 8 bars is
significantly less it is essentially impossible to be more than 35
miles from home before getting to the last four bars.  The last four
bars is about 50%.  However, it is possible to be more than 20 miles
from home with only two bars left.  I make sure I plan to avoid this
situation.

Of course this algorithm gets thrown off a bit because a bar gets
erased every time the car is power cycled.  If I'm on a trip where I
care, I have to make sure I notice how many bars are active before I
shut it off.

http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub