According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 2013 there were
32,719 fatalities on US roads in 2013.  One wonders how many of them
could have been prevented if distracted driving was eliminated as a cause.

Yes I think even if we don’t get to full self driving in the near future the
ability of cars to sense your surroundings and avoid tailgating and the
associated rear enders, obstructed vision lane changes and hitting
pedestrians who either you don’t notice or they absentmindedly step into
traffic.  If we get to ‘you can steer’ but you can’t tailgate, can’t run red
lights,
can’t change lanes with insufficient room etc. the roads will be a lot safer.

On another note, as my electric car gives me lots of statistics; one that
pop into my head is that my average daily commute speed is about 20mph.
Can you imagine a day when self driving cars talked to each other and talked
to smart interactions.  I might be able to raise my average speed to 25mph
and avoid the stress of lane weaving and rushing light and honking at slow
drivers :-)

Lawrence