Bill,

I have dug through many scientific papers on Li batteries and how they
work and I haven't been able to find anything about a theoretical
self-discharge mechanism. I have found some explicitly talking about
the lack of a charge shuttle mechanism like in lead-acid batteries,
however.

One paper I read has a section devoted to figuring out a charge
shuttle mechanism to add to a Li cell. It isn't a paper for the faint
of heart, however. It is "Nonaqueous Liquid Electrolytes for
Lithium-Based Rechargeable Batteries" by Kang Xu published in the
Chemical Review, 2004, Vol. 104, No. 10, pp. 4303-4417 and published
on the web 09/16/2004.

While I'm sure I don't get it 100% of the time I try to make sure I
say, "LiFePO4 cells have no theoretical self discharge mechanism."
This, according to all I have been able to find on the cells, is true.
Also, the most ardent anti-BMS people I have found have in fact done a
lot of searching of the scientific literature and came to the same
conclusion. It was not just something they made up to support their
anti-BMS position.

If you have other literature showing what the self-discharge mechanism
is please share it.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Bill Dube via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
> This "zero self-discharge" myth seems to be a common thread with the
> "anti-BMS" crowd. I don't know where this misinformation comes from.
>
>         All cells have self-discharge. It is just a matter of degree. Also,
> the self-discharge varies from cell to cell. That's why you need a BMS.
> These are well-documented facts for all those that care to investigate,
> either through the scientific literature or by simply systematically testing
> cells for themselves (as Lee Hart has done.)
>
>         I strongly suspect the "zero self-discharge" myth comes from the
> same unscientific source that the anti-BMS myth has sprung from.
>
>         Bill D.

David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328
http://www.levforum.com