/“A lithium cell has no thermodynamic forcing function to move the ions back
to the positive electrode.  Stating this in the terms above - neither of the
discharged or charge states are more stable than the other.”/

I’m not sure what you mean by this.

Jay Whitacre (Materials Science, Carnegie Mellon): The phase change LiFePO4
to FePO4 occurs at 3.4V, redox reaction.  During charging all lithium leaves
the cathode, now have 3.4V driving Li back to the cathode when the charger
is disconnected.
- that's from the video I posted a link to after I posted the link to the
video by Dahn. If a low enough resistance path for electrons to the cathode
is provided, lithium will move back to the cathode to combine with electrons
there and form LiFePO4, driven by the 3.4V chemical potential, with no
external potential applied as during charging. Maybe by "stable" you mean
this won't happen unless a low enough resistance path is provided, such as
dendrites through the separator, conducting contamination on the cell
packaging surface between electrodes, or an external wire connection.

/"A lot of the effort that goes into forming the negative electrode has to
do with physically arranging little plates of graphene so that there is a
large percentage of the volume in this fortuitous geometry."/

No cells I know of are using graphene for one of the electrodes.  People are
experimenting with it, but no cells in production.  Most use "specially
formulated" graphite. Maybe that's what you meant since the carbon atoms
bound in hexagons are arranged in sheets in graphite. Graphene is of course
one of those single sheets, famously lifted with tape from a pencil mark
when first studied, so I guess that is what you mean rather than an actual
graphene electrode which would have quite different properties than
graphite.