Even though we have cheap gasoline for now, the replacement cost is in the $3 to $4 a gallon range using for example, Bakken and Eagle Ford shale oil at a breakeven price of $60 to$ 80+ per barrel. If electric rates are near $0.10/kwhr, then it cost about $1.00 to go 30 miles whereas an ICE cost about $3 to $4 in gasoline. The difference can pay off either a PV array faster or be put toward making an EV competitive with an ICE on a fuel plus maintenance plus battery pack basis.

I think we may see a large uptake with 2017 models EVs with purported 200 mile ranges or so.