On 01/13/2016 07:16 AM, via EV wrote:
Good morning Bob.  Well I'm going to just jump right to the point.  Don't.  Go
down to your nearest Nissan dealer and look at all the Leaf lease returns and
pick out a beauty.  For probably 10-12K.  You will have a vehicle 5-10 times
better than the first one you could build. Well maybe.  But it will still be
cheaper than anything you could build.  Especially if you were to use Lithium.
My conversion cost twice what my 2013 Leaf cost.  With a warranty, new, with
great heat and comfort.

Though I wouldn't buy a Nissan, I have to generally agree. Any factory made EV will almost certainly be far cheaper, far more reliable, and have far more resale value than a conversion. The only reason to do a conversion is for education. The most cost effective conversion will be the one you bought from someone else at a fire sale price.

Most conversions end up being driven only a few thousand miles.

I paid for my education. I drove my Hyundai conversion about 50k miles at a total cost of about $70k. It is now worth $3k-$5k. I've driven my Tesla over 70k miles at a total cost of about $90k. I anticipate driving it a total of maybe 150k miles at a total cost of about $100k. The Tesla is or will be worth $20k-$40k. The Hyundai cost well over $1/mile with a lot of discomfort, a lot of failures and a lot of pain. The Tesla will cost well under $1/mile with few failures and a great deal of comfort and joy.

I should mention that I prefer to drive my imiev over the Tesla when the imiev range allows. I'm up to 7k miles on the imiev in about a year.