Seth,
The 12A limit is due to the outlets limitation and not the car. Any 110V EVSE
is 12A max to avoid overloading the outlet. The rule is that for continuous
power draw you must stay under 80% of an outlet's max. Since most 110V outlets
are designed for 15A max, 12A is the max continuous current draw allowed for
such an outlet. If the outlet is old and somewhat corroded you may already find
it getting warm at 12A, let alone at higher draws. So it is a matter of safety
even if the outlet is on a 20A circuit.
Hope this clarifies.
Cor