Well, there is a difference between CO2 and other forms of air pollution. I don't think cities are suffering from excess CO2, though more fresh air with higher oxygen might be desirable.

But, in my opinion, there are plenty of other reasons to move towards zero ICE vehicles. Global warming, reduced urban livability from noise, the direct environmental hazards of extracting carbon based fuels (think fracking), the fact that even the best ICE vehicles do emit non CO2 pollutants especially as they age.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mark Abramowitz via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "dovepa" <dov...@bellsouth.net>; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "Peri Hartman via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 14-May-16 12:34:09 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Prof. Clare Grey defending her LiO2 (fluffy carbon) battery paper

The need for zero emission vehicles has been around for significantly longer than efforts to reduce CO2 emissions. For many parts of the country (and world), local levels of air pollution have tremendous impacts on human health and the environment. If you believe that we can solve the CO2 problem by eliminating coal, and you think that it can be done in a reasonable amount of time, there still remains a urgent need for zero and near-zero emitting vehicles.

- Mark
Sent from AltaMail

From: dovepa via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> To: Peri Hartman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Prof. Clare Grey defending her LiO2 (fluffy carbon) battery paper Date: 5/13/16, 6:49 PM

I don't see a need to eliminate the internal combustion engine. Most of the CO2 comes from burning coal. According to the EPA only 14% comes from transportation. All forms of transportation together road, rail, air and marine.

-------- Original message --------From: Peri Hartman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> Date: 5/13/16 4:13 PM (GMT-06:00) To: Mike Beem <beemik...@gmail.com>, EVDL Administrator <evp...@drmm.net>, Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org> Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Prof. Clare Grey defending her LiO2 (fluffy
  carbon) battery paper
The range problem definitely does exist.  How are you going to get rid
of ICE vehicles for long range travel if you can only go 100 miles or so
per charge?  Even 200 miles.

This has nothing to do with the vehicle you might use for everyday
commuting and errands. Yes, 100 miles is almost always plenty for that.
  And, yes, you can rent something if you want to go long range.

But we're talking about getting ICE vehicles off the road.  That long
range vehicle needs to go 300-400 miles on a charge to be practical.
Some have to be built and there needs to be high wattage charging
stations along the interstates and major highways. And, another factor,
if only a small percentage are built, economy of scale won't work and
they will be quite expensive.

Peri