IMO, Lee's idea of switching to NiCd is best ...>bottom line (jumping to the
end of my long internet searches) ... look at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-Flooded-Plate-NiCad-NiCd-batteries-11AC20-11Ah-aircraft-radio-medical-/281788934148?hash=item419bede804:g:5TwAAOSw1vlUt4~S

(Lurkers should know to change their charger to charge NiCd's, else replace
their charger to one that can charge NiCd's properly)

(Verbose: from my searches)
I found it interesting reading, see
http://evdl.awardspace.com/nicad%20update/
 which seems to be another evdl archive but of only the year 2007. Half-way
down jerryd mentions a way to reduce NiCd watering by only doing an
equalizing charge every 5 charges, and to only charge to 75%SOC. At the
bottom it references to a yahoo group for BB600
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BB600/info
 which is a slow load, and the number of posts means to me, that this group
is dormant (few are active on it. A shame as they may have know where to buy
BB600's.

[sidebar
I find it nice to still have some my years of evln work still around even
though the evdl has gone through some rough archive-times (I have lost over
half my work):

http://evdl.awardspace.com/evln(hankster%20picks%20up%201st%20acp%20scion%20xb%20ev)/
 I found it fun to see a younger (2007) Tom hanks & ACP's Tom Gage
http://www.ecorazzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/tom.jpg

/sidebar]

A search found
http://karmanneclectric.blogspot.in/2005/11/battery-of-cells.html
 which shows a good use of the BB600 in a sweet EV conversion.

I also found
http://phoenixeaa.com/photoalbum/streetevs/stack1/main.html
 of another conversion EV using BB600 cells.

This reminded me that years ago the Phoenix-AZ EAA members' work-around for
their very hot weather temps (which kill PbSO4) was to find sources for old
(usually buried and dig up) sources of military NiCds for aircraft. So, you
could explore contacting that EAA chapter to see if they have a NiCd's for
EVs source, see
http://phoenixeaa.com/contacts/main.html

After several searches for a direct NiCd source, I came across:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=aircraft+nicd+battery&LH_BIN=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=aircraft+nicd+battery&_sacat=0
 which lead to the (top) bottom line link I provided above.

For as little as the fork lift is used, IMO NiCd seems the right way to
go(choice).

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.0catch.com}