Paul,
Every time the cell is at the top of charge, it will expand.
Don't compress and you will likely burst it in short order.
I have taken apart packs that were used *with* the Leaf BMS
so charging has always kept them under 4.115V max but when I remove
the nuts that hold a stack in compression, I cannot get the nuts back on
unless I use heavy clamps to compress the stack back to original size.
If Nissan was happy to add heavy steel end plates to an EV that needs to
be as light as possible, just to keep the modules compressed, then who
am I to decide that I should omit those?
But don't take my word for it, try it yourself.
And let us know how you fare.

BTW, I have seen what happens to modules that are overcharged to 4.3
Volts.
Even with the heavy compression, some cells managed to generate enough
pressure to buckle some of the module walls and the guys that took the
pack apart had to make sure they were not in the line of "fire" when
they undid the nuts of the end plate - nut and wrench went flying!
At the normal 4.115V max, this excess will not happen, but the pressure
can easily be enough to damage the thin module sheet metal walls that
are not design to contain pressure, only to keep the cells aligned. You
can also pull the bus bars off the cells due to the working of the stack
of cells when uncompressed. Take your chances or follow the Nissan
design, it is your own choice and your own quality of work.
Regards,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.