kWh. Because even if the charging station may be able to provide a
higher amount of power (kW) your EV may not charge that fast.
That is one reason that I never charged at a paid public station with my
previous EV truck (and probably also not with my new EV truck) since it
had a charger that would not take more than about 1.5kW at either 110 or
208V so the per time billing that is common on chargers and geared
towards the max Level 2 charging of 6.6 kW consumption, worked out to be
a ridiculously high cost per kWh for my EV, so I never bothered to use a
paid charger and always found an alternative solution.
Tens of thousands of Leaf owners also face the issue that they can only
charge at 3kW so why would they have to pay as if they were sucking
power at 6kW rate?
It would be similar to pull up to a gas station and instead of counting
the actual gallons delivered into your tank, it would count how fast it
would have been possible to deliver fuel if you would have squeezed the
trigger to the max - which you might not if that makes the back-flow
detector shut off all the time, so you pull the trigger halfway to
refuel slower and as a result your 15 gallons fillup is charged to you
as 35 gallons in cost because the pump could have been able to deliver
that amount in that time.
Seems unfair, no?

So, we should make sure that the delivered energy is counted: gallons
delivered for liquid fuel vehicles and kWh of Energy delivered for EVs.

Hope this clarifies,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.