You're going to roll your eyes when I suggest this, but you will thank me later when you do this simple project using one:

Run the gauge with an Arduino. The version you will need costs maybe $20 and will do this job simply and easily.

Once you get a single project working using an Ardunio, (which will take a bit of work on your part at first) you will be amazed how easy it is to use and how many little projects will be simplified by using one.

1) Get this book and kit: https://www.sparkfun.com/sylviakit (Book is written by a 12 year old girl.)
2) Read the book.
3) Do the simple programs and experiments with the kit that the book tells you, step-by-step, _exactly_ how to do. (This book assumes you know _nothing._) 4) Write a simple custom program for the board (or look up a program for the board on line and simply download it) that solves this particular problem.
5) Install the board in your car, connect it up, and you are done.

You can get a much smaller, cheaper, specialized Arduino to do this specific job, but the more generic Arduino "Uno" in the kit will work.

There are Arduino's _everywhere_. For example, our Taz 5 3D printer that has all sorts of things happening at once, like three axis motion control, two temperature controls, a variable speed fan, a digital display, a digital knob that controls a menu on the display, reads commands from a computer via USB or runs commands from an SD card, plus things I have forgotten, runs it all _simultaneously_ on an Arduino board that costs about $80.

Trust me, if you do this you will be astounded at how simple the whole thing has become and will never look back.

Bill Dube'