On 27/01/17 07:29, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:
Also, the LBC validation happens without disconnecting the aux battery.
I know for sure as I never disconnect the 12V battery and when I swapped
my pack for a complete replacement pack from Washington State, the
yellow light on the dash came on and my Leaf was in Limp mode while I
only disconnected the (non-energized, due to the contactors in the pack)
HV lines and the control bus.
Just wheeling the original pack back under my Leaf and swapping the
connectors removed the Limp mode, so I know for a fact that the Leaf
validates the battery upon pressing the power button while the aux
battery is connected continuously, so it seems that you were looking at
the wrong thing.
Probably a trace of the EV bus as soon as the power button is depressed
(when a *lot* of communication is happening) will tell the story.
You may start the trace as soon as the brake is pressed.

Thank you for this information Cor!

I have many captures of my car's startup on the EV Bus and unless my hardware misses the important frames, I don't see anything special at startup. 0x603 is sent once, is the first frame sent and always with payload 00. A number of frames are sent with lots of bits set which later contain valid data - for example the first couple of frames from the LBC:

1     2017-01-26 21:47:24.907267            CAN                16    STD:
0x00000603   00
8     2017-01-26 21:47:24.993307            VCM Info           16    STD:
0x000001f2   08 64 00 00 00 01 01 06
65    2017-01-26 21:47:25.139218            LBC Battery V/A    16    STD:
0x000001db   7f e0 ff c6 00 00 00 de
66    2017-01-26 21:47:25.140191            LBC 0x1dc          16    STD:
0x000001dc   ff ff ff ff 1f ff fc 6b

And I can see the VCM go through it's startup sequence (in 0x1f2 byte 5). However all the frames other than 0x603 are sent more than once per second.

I'll capture startup from some more cars, identify which bytes are different and use a man in the middle to selectively tamper with those bytes and see what causes the car to reject the battery. Hopefully there aren't too many differences! Carl at https://bluecars.nz/ has a leaf system on the bench, so establishing the man in the middle won't be too hard.