On 24/01/17 03:09, Collin Kidder wrote:

Yes, it sounds as if it is validating the pack somehow. I don't know
which messages might be responsible for this. I'm working on firmware
that can run on a board with two can buses and then monitor both sides
to determine which frames a device outputs and which it accepts. This
would make it easy to determine the messages actually coming from the
BMS and when they occur but requires cutting the wiring and inserting
the device in between.

That sounds like a nice piece of hardware. Can you put two CAN shields on an arduino at the same time?

From what I read, SocketCan's cangw utility can do this if you have two interfaces. I have a friend with a complete leaf system on the bench, I'll see if I can put my laptop between the battery and the rest of the system.

Though, presumably one needn't keep sending the
validation over and over so it probably occurs early in the process.
Because of that, it might be possible to find the validation message
just by looking at a power train CAN capture and seeing which frames
are sent only early in the process.

On my car, there is only one frame that isn't repeated continuously after startup (0x603 is sent once, with a single byte payload which is 00 in my captures).

I'll try disconnecting the 12v battery tomorrow and see if anything different happens at when it's connected, or during the first startup.

That's a potential avenue for
attack. Also, the security validation bytes for the Leaf seem to
always use the same algorithm so if there's a security byte it should
already be possible to generate it.

Are you referring to your https://github.com/collin80/CRC_Nissan ? Which frames have this checksum?