Larry Gales via EV wrote:
When I look at the Stella Lux and Stella Vie, I get very different results
from the negative views of solar powered cars.  I start with the assumption
that the Dutch students who have won most of the solar car records are not
actually lying.

The problem is that most people assume that EVs must be exactly like ICEs. Typical ICEs today weigh a ton or more, and have the aerodynamics of a brick. All those edgy lines, huge grilles, big fat tires, and rough bottom mean it takes lot of horsepower to drag it down the road.

The automakers are building EVs the same way. Big, heavy, poor aerodynamics.

But there are other ways to do it. Race cars and airplanes are much lighter, and have aerodynamics based on performance rather than styling. Amory Lovins has been championing the "hypercar" concept for decades. The basic idea is that if you halve the weight, and cut the aerodynamic losses in half, it takes 1/4th as much energy to push it down the road. Yet it can be just as strong and safe, by using modern materials and construction techniques.

EVs like Stella Lux and Stella Vie demonstrate how successful this strategy can be. When you have a 4-passenger car that weighs 826 lbs and 1/3 the aerodynamic losses, solar power becomes a viable way to power it!

--
Obsolete (Ob-so-LETE). Adjective. 1. Something that is simple,
reliable, straightforward, readily available, easy to use, and