To look at this further, let us consider the solar energy available in the
Seattle area (again, the worst in the continental USA) over the year.  The
results, in terms of sun-hours/day are:

           Jan     Feb     Mar     Apr     May    Jun     Jul      Aug
Sep    Oct     Nov    Dec

          0.92   1.65    2.88     4.04    5.47    6.06   6.23   4.98    3.85
2.09   1.15    0.74

Let us assume that we travel 20,000 miles/year (the US average for a 2-car
family) which consume about 28,000 kWh of energy/year, when we convert the
fuel consumed to kWh.  Let us assume we travel less in the Winter, at about
40 miles/day (at total of 6000 miles for those 5 colder months):

·        During the 5 colder months the PV on the car delivers only 20
miles/day, so we need an extra 20 miles/day of energy from the utility.  Given
that the car gets 20 miles/kWh, then for 5 months we need (5*30*20)/20 =
150 kWh that we need to get from the utility.

·        But during the remaining 7 months of the year, we get an average
of 71 miles/day from the PV array on the car, but since we only travel an
average of 67 miles/day, we don’t need any extra energy.

If we add the embedded energy needed to create the solar PV array, where we
assume that a 1.5 kW array produces an average of 1500 * 1.2 kWh/year, and
at the standard 3.7 payback years for solar PV that comes to 6,660 kWh.  Over
a 30 year lifetime that comes to 222 kWh/year + 150 kWh/year or 372
kWh/year total, *which is 75 times less* energy than what the average
family now consumes, yet we travel the same speeds for the same distance.

Although the Stella Lux or Stella Vie are not in production they are street
legal (at least in Europe) cars and have been making tours around Europe
for over a year.  The team is considering developing a production car,
named “Lightyear”, which uses most of the same technology.

Larry Gales