EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
On 20 Nov 2019 at 3:39, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

  I did a little searching and the *current* average for a complete
pack is about $200 per kWh.

For another data point, it's 8000 Euros (about US$8800) to buy the factory
52kWh battery for a 2020 Renault Zoe (AFAIK still Europe's largest-selling
EV).  That's $169/kWh.  The 2019 Zoe battery was 42kWh and cost 9000 Euros
($235/kWh).

I'm sure that at some point, lithium batteries will probably reach the stage
that lead batteries have, where they're effectively commodities whose price
depends mostly on that of the raw materials going into them.  I don't see a
way to predict when that might happen.

Also, as I and others have pointed out in this thread, there are other EV
costs besides the battery that haven't yet been significantly reduced.

Another point: Lead-acid is so cheap because virtually all the materials get recycled.

At present, the large majority of lithium batteries are *not* recycled. That's bound to drive up the cost of materials.

And you know how it goes; we won't recycle until we *have* to. It took laws in the US and Europe to force companies to recycle. They'd much rather get their materials from some 3rd world country with slave labor wages and no environmental laws. :-(

Lee
--
ICEs have the same problem as lightbulbs. Why innovate and make
better ones when the current ones burn out often enough to keep