If you discharge them first they don't have any energy in order to catch fire.

    On Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:19:44 AM CST, Lee Hart via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

 Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
> I doubt many people are recycling laptop and phone batteries.

That's because it's nearly impossible to do so. Many of the places that
take small consumer batteries for recycling are not taking lithiums, due
to the (real or perceived) risk of fire.

> But car batteries ? I assume nearly 100% are getting repurposed, at
> least after a modest amount of time. And, in the future, probably
> recycled.

I worry that industry won't recycle lithiums until they are *forced* to
do it. As long as it's even 1 cent cheaper to buy them new, and landfill
the waste, they will.

Lee
--
ICEs have the same problem as lightbulbs. Why innovate and make
better ones when the current ones burn out often enough to keep