On 1/28/21 8:01 PM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
It's a long way off but, hey, they are making it official.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/01/28/general-motors-electric/

Well, it IS great news!

I see it as an act of desperation. Too little, too slow, too late. GM committed what I consider a fatal sin in removing the possibility, for ~10 years, of using NiMh in EVs.

I've many times seen the argument that it is time to forgive and forget GM's NiMH actions. That NiMH would never have made acceptable EV batteries. That it was GM's right to remove NiMH from the EV market. That none of the GM people that did the NiMH deed remain in the company. It seems that all making those arguments may be doing so at GM's direction. GM has never "owned up" to what they did and continue to try to ignore their history.

Contrast GM to VW. VW made a mistake. They admitted the mistake. They are adopting EV production as soon as possible. GM has continued to ignore their crime and apparently continue to try to suppress public knowledge of the history.

In considering what might have been had GM not suppressed NiMH, a comparison of the first RAV4EV with the Leaf is appropriate. The NiMH RAV4 preceded the Leaf by about 10 years. The RAV4 battery gave the car greater range than the Leaf and the RAV4 battery has proven to be longer lived that the Leaf battery.