On 29 Jan 2021 at 11:47, Willie via EV wrote:

> VW has gone far beyond their settlement requirements.  They are showing
> that they are serious about conversion to EVs.  GM is just talking and
> postponing.

I'm not a VW executive, so I have no idea of their reasoning; but that could
be partly because they're a global vehicle manufactuer, and they'd like to
carry on with selling vehicles worldwide.  :-)

In 2019, VW sold three-quarters of its vehicles in Asia and Europe, where
consumers and governments have made it clear that they want EVs.  Only 6% of
their 2019 sales were in the US.

GM, on the other hand, is still primarily a US-oriented automaker.  Like
many other automakers, they say that they think their future is in China.
However, in 2019 they still sold more vehicles in the US (40% of their
sales) than in China (37%).  Again, I'm not an auto industry expert, but I'd
guess that many of the Chinese sales are more attributable to their Chinese
automaker partners than to anything GM themselves actually did.  Please
correct me if that's wrong.

GM still have their flag planted solidly in their US fleet of bloated,
inefficient, high-profit trucks and SUVs.  I expect they'll waddle on that
way for another couple of decades here in the States.

GM has no worries about Europe's 2025-2040 EV goals.  After decades of
failure and losses, they wrote off Europe in 2017 when they sold their Opel
and Vauxhall divisions to PSA.

But if they really think their future is in China, then they'd darn well
better get cracking on EVs, because China wants them too.

Just think how much more experience and worldwide "cred" GM would have with
EVs right now if they hadn't buried NiMH, and if instead of crushing the
EV1, they'd evolved it into something more like the Tesla S.  But they
didn't.

In 2019 Volkswagen sold 6.3 million vehicles worldwide.  GM sold 1.9
million.  If I were an investor, I don't think I'd be buying GM stock right
now, no matter how much they talk about their EV future.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     My therapist told me that a great way to let go of your anger
     is to write letters to people you hate and then burn them. I
     did that, and I feel much better, but I'm wondering - do I
     keep the letters?

                                                      -- Anonymous