On another discussion list, I asked users in the Colorado Rockies (and
elsewhere) if using the foot-pound to kwh conversion rate provided a
reasonable estimate of kwh consumption and regeneration numbers.  It
seemed to.  So for a Model Y at 4416 pounds with two adults and
luggage, the vehicle weight would be close to 5,000 pounds.  The
conversion formula is:

1 ft-lb = 3.7661609675872E-7 kWh

5,000 * 1,000 * 3.766E-7 = 1.42 kwh or 1 kwh for every 700 foot
increase in elevation.  A rise of 7,000 feet would be an additional
usage of around 10 kwh divided by car efficiency.

so a 5,000 pound Model Y ascending a 1,000 foot rise would use an
additional 1.42 kwh divided by car efficiency.  Regen would be the
same value times regen efficiency.

A car that was 90% efficient would use 1.57 kwh in the climb.
A car that has 80% regen efficiency would regain 1.14 kwh.
A car going up and back down that 1,000 foot rise would lose 0.43 kwh.

Does that make sense?