On 4 Jan 2022 at 22:40, Bill Dube via EV wrote:

> Whatever the drivetrain losses, they at least double when you
> regeneratively brake.

I see your point, but I think it's a bit academic.  Assuming your 85%
efficiency number, you aren't losing 30% on regen, you're losing 15%.
You've already spent that other 15% by the time the energy gets to the
wheels, so it's gone anyway.  And 15% loss is a lot better than the 100%
loss that you get burning it off in the friction brakes.

> If you drive a bit more conservatively, you can avoid expending that
> energy extra energy in the first place,

Here I agree with you completely.  Not using the energy in the first place
is better than using it and then recovering some of it.  Unfortunately, you
still have to use energy to move, unless your trips are all downhill. :-)

My point is that regen id like partly  smoothing out the hills and valleys.
With good strong regen, properly used, your energy use for a given hilly
route is only slightly more than if it were flat.

If you're not in a hilly region, I agree that regen is of less value.  But
as you say, with modern controllers, you get it essentially free, so it's
always worth including and using.

One other often forgotten benefit of regen is that it reduces friction brake
wear.  That not only saves you money, it has environmental benefits in
reducing vehicle particulate emissions.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     We don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding
     a cure for jerks.

                           -- Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"