Reason you can't drive as conservatively as you'd like is simply: other traffic.
If you are alone on a 45MPH road, nobody cares if you want to do 35,
but if 2 lanes of traffic are storming at you doing 55-60 then it is
mightily inconvenient if someone is blocking the road at 35.
The other reason of course is your own time. While it makes hardly any
difference if you are doing 55 iso 60 on a freeway in time difference,
you are still taking an extra 5 min on an hour trip and sometimes that
means missing appointments, so a higher speed may be necessary at
times.

BTW, I question the 85% efficiency. Not at max (acceleration) power,
but I am under the impression that the majority of the driving is not
done at max acceleration and at lower power levels, the efficiency of
the drivetrain is usually higher. For example, doing a constant 55 on
a flat freeway takes only 15kW while max acceleration is about 6 times
that amount.
15kW is about 40 Amps while max current is either 200 or 250A
depending on the vehicle. Running at 20% of max also means a Voltage
drop of 20% so resistive losses drop to 4% of max losses when running
at 20% power, so I presume that if max losses are 15% (=85%
efficiency) then the losses at 20% must be much lower, as long as the
*fixed* losses are orders smaller.
Cor, happily regenning before every traffic light that is not green
and for sharper turns.