On 4 Jan 2022 at 1:55, Otmar via EV wrote:

> ItTMs such a treat to get to live through this transition to sustainable
> transportation for everyone and also get back to the lead foot of my youth.

Well, I don't know that I'd say "sustainable transportation," but EVs
definitely move us closer to that goal.

"For everyone" has been a change, for sure.  It's not like conversions back
in the EV dark ages.  Range and available fast charging made a difference,
just as everybody said back then that they would.

Tesla also gets credit for opening up EV appeal to "car guys" (I say "guys"
because I have the impression that their customers more male than female).
A fellow I used to work with was a dedicated car buff (he took time off work
every year to go to the Detroit auto show), an unswerving right-winger, and
most definitely not "green."  I knew that things were changing when he put a
picture of a Tesla S on his computer desktop.

Still, EVs are only about 2% of US vehicle sales.  Worldiwide it's 4.6% and
in Europe 11%, with some places WAY ahead - Iceland is 52% and Norway is
75%!

The difference is legislation (CO2 fleet requirements) and subsidies.  I
realize that subsidies benefit the automakers more than the consumers, but
the places that have legislation and incentives are buying EVs, so I'm OK
with that.

In Europe another factor is price, I think much more critical there than
here.  Tesla Model 3 sales didn't take off until they cut their price.  And
the big rising star there is the Dacia Spring, which you can buy for 12,400
euros (US$14,250) in France, after the subsidies.

The Spring isn't a long range EV (140 miles) or a fast charger (30kW).  But
it's cheap.  Even if you ignore the subsidies, it's a bit over *one-third
the price* of the cheapest Tesla Model 3.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     That's not a "cloud," it's just someone else's computer.

                                        -- Anonymous