I'm seeing a fair number of comments in Tesla owner communities that
suggest existing owners are considering cross-shopping other brands. There
is unrest due to various design decisions that are making owners feel the
pains of being beta testers. Significant firmware UI changes with v11,
firmware bugs, and heating issues on the heat pump based cars are recent
owner concerns. These are fixable, but a smooth approach, with rollback
options using the alternate partition, would prevent owners from feeling
the development bumps along the way.

There has been a bit of indication that the company understands there is
unrest over these items. Communication has been sparse in the past and
continues to be a sparse. Many of the concerns could be addressed by
changes in how Tesla acts, how it communicates, and how it addresses design
issues. There are other older concerns too. None of these is individually
fatal, but each one opens an opportunity for someone else to do it better.

In any case, today if someone in the US needs an EV for regional use, and
can rely on L2 charging at home and around town, there are multiple
options. If one needs US long range road tripping capability, Tesla
maintains a lead in network reliability. I know the CCS network is growing
in coverage, but what about reliability? The charging situation is
different in Europe, as are the distances, where a country approximates a
single US state.

If/when Tesla actually opens up the US Supercharging network to EVs from
other manufacturers will be a very telling point, as then any compatible EV
will also have long range road trip capabilities, meaning a Tesla vehicle
is no longer special in that regard.